Dr. Thomas O. Konney is a Consultant Gynecologic Oncologist at Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) and a Lecturer in the School of Medical Sciences at Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) in Kumasi, Ghana. Dr. Konney has been an active member of the African Cancer Coalition since August 2018 and has actively participated in the Workshop on Harmonization of Cancer Treatment Guidelines for Sub-Saharan Africa. Dr. Konney is the Programme Director for Fellowship Training in Gynecologic Oncology at KATH. His research interests are in female cancers and women’s health. He is active in teaching and supervising postgraduate students for the fellowship programs of the West African College of Surgeons and the Ghana College of Physicians and Surgeons. He has contributed to two chapters on ovarian cancers and premalignant conditions of the cervix in the textbook "Comprehensive Gynaecology in the Tropics." Dr. Konney graduated with an MD degree in 1995 from Almaty State Medical Institute. He became a fellow of the West African College of Surgeons, faculty of Obstetrics and Gynaecology in 2008 and a fellow of the Ghana College of Physicians and Surgeons in 2016. In 2012, he completed fellowship training in Gynecological Oncology at Vivantes Klinkum, Neukolln, in Berlin, Germany and also received a certiﬁcate in Health Administration and Management from the Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration. At the University of Michigan, USA, Dr. Konney completed a postdoctoral fellowship in Global Health in 2011 and a certiﬁcate in Gynecological Oncology in 2016. He is an active member of the International Gynecologic Cancer Society, European Society of Gynecological Oncology, and for nearly a decade has been a reviewer of the International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics.
- Almaty State Medical Institute, Republic of Kazahkstan, 1995 (Medical Degree)
- West African College of Surgeons, 2008 (Postgraduate)
- University of Michigan, USA, 2016 (Fellowship)
1. Titiloye NA, Duduyemi BM, Asiamah EA, Okai I, Ossei PPS, T. O. Konney, Fefemwole PK. Total abdominal hysterectomy in a Tertiary Hospital in Kumasi: Indication, Histopathological Findings and Clinicopathological Correlation. Journal of Medical and Biomedical Sciences. 2018; 7(1): 22–28
2. Laryea DO, Awuah B, Amoako YA, Konney TO et al. Cancer incidence in Ghana, 2012: evidence from population-based cancer registry. BMC Cancer 2014, 14:362
3. Sarvestani AS, Konney TO, Sienko KH. Development of culturally appropriate pictorial cards to facilitate maternal health histories and referral decision in rural Ghana. Int J Gynecol Obstet 2013,123(3):244-245
4. Konney TO, Danso KA, Odoi AT, Opare Addo HS, Morhe ESK. Attitude of women with abortion related complications towards provision of safe abortion services in Ghana. J Womens Health. 2009; 18 (11):1863-66